reflection of urban skyline on modern office building

California Protected Leave Lawyers

Employees in the state of California are afforded various types of protected leave under both state and federal law. If you believe you were wrongfully denied protected leave of any kind, or that your employer retaliated against you or terminated your position after taking protected leave, Stansbury Brown Law, PC is here to help. Contact our protected leave lawyers for an initial consultation today.

Protected Leave Lawyers | Here to Defend Your Rights

Nothing is more important than caring for yourself and your family when necessary. Unfortunately, employers don’t always feel the same way. If your employer violated your right to take protected leave for any of the following, you need to speak with our skilled Los Angeles employment lawyers as soon as possible:

  • Pregnancy leave
  • Kin care leave
  • Military family leave
  • Childbirth/recovery leave
  • Victims of crime leave

The California Family Rights Act

The California Family Rights Act (CFRA) applies to every employer with at least five full or part-time employees. As long as you have worked for more than 12 months with your current employer and have accrued at least 1,250 hours with your employer, you should qualify for CFRA leave. CFRA leave gives employees the right to take up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave to care for a sick family member, spend time with a new child, or take care of their own medical issues, without fear of losing their job.

The Family and Medical Leave Act

The Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) is a federal law that provides certain qualifying employees with the right to take up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave to receive medical care, or to care for an ill spouse/relative or a newborn/newly-adopted child. To qualify for FMLA, you’ll have to work for a company with at least 50 employees who live within a 75-mile radius of the location where you work. You will also have had to work for at least 1,250 hours in the last 12 months for your employer.

What Should I Do if My Protected Leave Rights Have Been Violated?

If you believe your employer has violated your protected leave rights by denying your request for leave, interfering with your leave, or retaliating against you for taking leave, you do have options, and our firm is here to help you exercise your rights. To start, you should document the violation. You can do so by keeping a record of all communications with your employer regarding your leave request, getting copies of medical certifications and other documents relevant to your leave, speaking with witnesses who can support your claim, and more.

From here, you should hire a skilled protected leave lawyer who can file a claim on your behalf, either with the U.S. Department of Labor for violations of the FMLA, or with the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing for violations of the CFRA. As long as you can prove that your employer violated your right to protected leave, you should be compensated for any lost wages you’ve incurred, damages for emotional distress, and more.

Contact Our California Protected Leave Lawyers

If your right to protected leave has been violated in any capacity, our firm is here to fight for the justice you deserve. Contact a protected leave lawyer from Stansbury Brown Law, PC today.

Contact Us
Our Latest Blogs
Read More Blogs
Website Designed & Managed by